Uncle Bill's School of Jazz
Small group lessons for the aspiring young musician to learn how to express themselves through improvisation. This summer camp will consist of 8 one hour sessions with the goal of introducing and reinforcing some basic improvisational vocabulary and soloing techniques that students can implement into their playing right away.
- To develop some melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic vocabulary that students can immediately use in their improvisation
- To explore an understanding of Jazz/Rock/Pop Music Theory and its application to improvisation
- To analyze specific tunes and understand how to improvise within their structure
- To play and interact in a combo setting with other musicians
- To incorporate ear training (melodic, harmonic, and transcription) into your everyday practicing
- To be introduced and to listen to recordings of artists that have played a significant role in the history of jazz and improvisation
Bill Riddle has been a music educator for over 40 years teaching in both public and private schools with extensive experience as a high school and middle school jazz band director. He has had a lifelong interest in developing practical improvisational vocabulary and skills that can unlock creative and artistic expression.
Where: Uncle Jon’s Music Store in Westmont, IL 33 N. Cass Ave, Westmont, IL 60559
When: Mondays and Wednesdays in June, 2023 1:00 (Jump Start)) 2:00 (Gig Level)
For Who: Students entering grades 6-12
Cost: $160.00 for 8 sessions
Sign up here: